Walking to Webelos and Aiming for Arrow sessions at Day Camp
We combined all the patrols in one session and then split them into Webelos 1 and Webelos 2. Webelos 1’s did Walking to Webelos and Webelos 2’s did Aiming for Arrow. Walking to Webelos focused on the Webelos badge and activity requirements for it (Fitness and Citizen). Arrow of Light assumed the Webelos 2’s had earned their Webelos badge and focused on activities for Arrow of Light including Readyman and Outdoorsman. We describe each of the sessions separately below and the overall analysis is below. We started the session with all of the boys together and then broke into the two separate paths after the opening exercise.
- Walking to Webelos Day 1, Aiming for Arrow Day 1
- Walking to Webelos Day 2, Aiming for Arrow Day 2
- Walking to Webelos Day 3, Aiming for Arrow Day 3
- Walking to Webelos Day 4, Aiming for Arrow Day 4
- Walking to Webelos Day 5, Aiming for Arrow Day 5
The syllabus for Walking to Webelos is available as a doc and a pdf. The syllabus for Aiming for Arrow as a doc and a pdf.
- Start: 1) This is a good time to give the entire camp a good discussion heat exhaustion. We did it on day 4 after a staff member got hit badly. We should have done it on day 1. We also should tell them to drink water and not just sports drinks. 2) The LDS Webelos are generally put into Webelos by age and not by grade in school so they don’t have a Webelos 1 or 2 distinction. Have the LDS Webelos choose Webelos 1 or 2 based on how much they need to finish for their badges. If needed, have their parents provide this input when they sign up.
- Stop: Overall, this session worked really well. Nothing specific to stop.
- Continue: It worked really well to have them start as a big group and then split. Since they are bonding as patrols and then we split into webelos 1/2, it is useful to all be together before splitting. Also, we can do common exercises that way. It was also good to have the common exercise and then to have the two youth staff (boy scouts!) run the two parallel sessions with the adult staff being assistants only.
Leave a Reply