We completed the showman activity pin during 5 days of day camp. Below is the information for day 4, where they did paper bag puppets.
- Paper lunch bags
Requirements covered and activities for each requirement
Showman 11. Tell what folk music is. Hum, sing, or play a folk tune on a musical instrument. Showman 9. Sing one song indoors and one song outdoors, either alone or with a group. Tell what you need to do differently when singing outdoors.
- Sing 2 songs from the songbook (at last one folk song)
- Sing one at the pool house (indoors) as entrance into pool.
Showman 6. Make a set of four paper bag puppets for a singing group. With the help of three other den members, sing a song with the puppets as the performers.
- Break into the same groups
- Each group: pick a song out of the songbook, make paper bag puppets, and perform it using the puppets (and the songbook if necessary)
Showman 16. Give a monologue (a talk) on a patriotic, humorous, or holiday subject, or another subject of your choice
- Have a storytelling session. Have each boy come prepared to tell the best true-life story he knows about something that happened to himself or a friend or family member. This is an opportunity to emphasize the importance of good listening and the value of sharing ideas. (from boyscouttrail.com)
- The boys are really getting into the songs by now
- They continue to love making the puppets
- Start: Gently suggest they pick songs we haven’t tried from the songbook
- Stop: Aside from the heat, several groups sang the same song (cute ones, but still repeats) so I’d try to ensure each group had a different song, if possible.
- Continue: I would do this session again as it is, with the start suggestion added. It went really well.
Leave a Reply