We completed the showman activity pin during 5 days of day camp. Below is the information for day 1.
- Paper lunch bags
- Popsicle sticks
Requirements covered and activities for each requirement
Showman 11. Tell what folk music is. Hum, sing, or play a folk tune on a musical instrument.
- Talk about folk music (ask parents for input)
Showman 9. Sing one song indoors and one song outdoors, either alone or with a group. Tell what you need to do differently when singing outdoors.
- Sing 2 folk songs from the songbook
- Sing one at the pool house (indoors) as entrance into pool.
Showman 2. Write a puppet play about one of your Webelos den activities or a subject of your choice. Showman 3. Make a set of puppets or marionettes for the play you have written or for another play.
- Break the group into smaller subgroups (by pack, if possible). Have each subgroup discuss and plan the play (to be performed later). Be sure they keep the idea simple (suggest jokes or have a topic box).
- Make the puppets (socks, paper bags, sticks all provided).
- Save the puppets and any plans by name and group
- This activity worked really well. It took a bit for the boys to get into singing the unfamiliar songs but they did. The main reason they were not originally enthusiastic was the heat. The other only issue with the session was having it before lunch as they were all hungry!
- They LOVED making the puppets
- Start: I would ensure each group has adequate supervision on what makes a good skit as some of the groups made great ones and some splintered. Have the walking leaders/adults with each group be involved and supervised and give suggestions.
- Stop: The heat! Not much to do about that.
- Continue: I would do this session again as it is, with the start suggestion added.
Leave a Reply