We worked on the scientist activity pin during 5 days of day camp. Below is the information for day 5 (rocket launches!).
- Ensure weather station is in place and operating
- Their weather beltloop worksheets (save from previous day, organize by group)
- Their model rockets
- Rocket launchers
Requirements covered and activities for each requirement
Weather Belt Loop requirement 2. Set up a simple weather station to record rainfall, temperature, air pressure, or evaporation for one week
- Have them measure the weather and write it on their worksheet.
- They keep the worksheets today!
Scientist 8. With adult supervision, build and launch a model rocket. Describe how Newton’s third law of motion explains how the rocket is propelled into the sky.
- Launch the rockets. Have the boys recover each rocket. Remember that guide to safe scouting says the adult is actually launching (lighting the fire). The boys can push the button (if we have such a system). Have the boys measure time in the air.
- Start: Nothing, this worked really well.
- Stop: Nothing to stop. It went well.
- Continue: This worked really well! Having adult supervision on the rocket launches is essential and required by the guide to safe scouting.
Leave a Reply