We worked on the aquanaut activity pin during 5 days of day camp. Below is the information for day 2.
- Kick boards: 1/2 per scout
- Survival float supplies for demonstration: pants or shirt
Requirements covered and activities for each requirement
Note: Leader: demonstrate each of these skills. However, your role is to facilitate their practice (not to teach)
Aquanaut 1. Jump into water over your head. Come to the surface and swim 100 feet, at least half of this using a backstroke
- Have the scouts practice this
Aquanaut 2. Stay in the water after the swim and float on your back and your front, and demonstrate survival floating.
- The staff member demonstrates survival floating with clothes on. The webelos scouts watch and can practice the float but not with the extra clothing (just their regular swim clothes).
Swimming Beltloop 3: While holding a kick board, propel yourself 25 feet using a flutter kick across the shallow end of the swimming area.
- Practice this skill
Play a game from our aquanaut game list
- Start: This worked really well.
- Stop: Nothing to stop. It went well.
- Continue: This worked well. We did our best to include the scouts who had not passed the full swim test but they can only practice the skills in the BSA approved area of the swimming pool so some of the practice had to be modified.
Leave a Reply